The 10th Annual Erik Lie Nielsen Geriatrics Symposia was planned for physicians in family and community medicine, internal medicine and geriatrics; physician assistants; nurse practitioners; pharmacists; nurses; psychologists; social workers; nursing home administrators; allied health professionals and all other interested health care professionals working with geriatric patients.
Geriatric assessment and treatment has evolved into a complex art form that is dependent not only on the scientific basis for assessment of complex multi-organ system disease in geriatric patients, but also on the complex functional and psychosocial needs of the frail elderly population. As a result, this activity has been designed to provide participants with current information on the prevention and treatment of disease states that affect the geriatric population.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be better able to:
• Review the epidemiology of late life depression(LLD) and the impact personally, socially and financial effect.
• Discuss differences and similarities between geriatrics pharmacotherapy principles and pharmacotherapy in the palliative care and hospice setting.
• Describe the benefits and challenges of PACE.
• Discuss how the implementation of PCMH will affect future patient care.
• Describe practical and cost effective treatment modalities for chronic wounds.
• Be able to communicate prognoses and their uncertainty.
• List three concerns related to transitions of care and specific interventions being developed to address these issues.
• Describe the partnership betweenhealth care providers and faith communities.
• Recognize different clinical features of non-alzheimer dementias.
• Analyze the boundaries and scope of a modern health system, including the building blocks of the system and the inter-relationships among the building blocks.
• Discuss the three major categories that make up elder law.
• Introduce tools and resources that will aid participants in navigating area health services and programs for seniors